The IOP Technician Award enables the community to recognise and celebrate the skills and experience of technicians and their contribution to physics.
With the aim of raising the professional status of technicians, the IOP Technician Award highlights the diverse role of technicians in education, research and industry.
The winner receives a prize of £1,000, a trophy and a certificate presented at the IOP annual awards dinner.
Eligible technicians will work in a diverse range of organisations across the UK and Ireland – schools, colleges, universities, research institutions, NHS, defence or industry. They may, for example, plan and prepare teaching experiments, build and maintain infrastructure and laboratory equipment and software to support research and innovation, or install manufacturing systems or process control instrumentation.
- the nominee(s) must be an individual or team employed by an organisation in the UK or Ireland either part- or full-time, on a fixed term or permanent basis for at least one year
- nominees, nominators and referees do not need to be members of the IOP
- nominees, nominators and referees cannot be members of the IOP Council
- nominators and referees may be working in the same organisation as the nominee(s)
- an individual or team cannot be rewarded twice for substantially the same body of work
- an individual must have a sustainable track record as this is not an early career award.
Nominators must submit:
- details of the nominee, including details of the working relationship between nominator and nominee(s)
- a supporting statement, including a short and long citation that highlights:
- relevant information about the person(s) and their role
- examples of their achievements; their contributions and resultant impact
- evidence of professionalism, learning and development
- examples of where the nominee(s) inspired others
- a CV or biographical statement
- contact details for two referees.
Making a nomination
Nominations for the 2019 Technician Award are closed. The Technician Award will open again in October 2019.