Public Engagement Grant Scheme
This scheme supports projects that:
- raise public awareness of, and engagement with, contemporary physics.
- inspire and enthuse public audiences, especially those not previously interested in physics.
- reach adult and family audiences beyond the classroom.
- develop the science communication skills of individuals, particularly physicists.
Who can apply
The scheme is open to individuals and organisations passionate about promoting engagement with physics. You might be:
- an Institute member
- a researcher in academia or industry
- a museum
- a community group
- a not-for-profit organisation
- an arts groups
- a library
How much you can apply for
The minimum grant award is £500. You can apply for up to £3,000 to run physics-based events in the UK and Ireland.
How to apply
There are two rounds of funding each year. The first round is in the spring and the second is in the autumn.
The next round of the grant scheme will open in spring 2019. To hear when the next round opens, and about other opportunities that might interest you, please sign up to our mailing list.
A few of our recipients
- “We are grateful to the Institute of Physics for providing us with an outreach grant, which will enable Family Action to pilot a wide range of fun, hands on and family friendly rocket themed fun days for vulnerable and low income families during the 2018 summer holidays.” Family Action, grant recipient 2018.
- “Careers in both theatre and physics require an active imagination and a great deal of creativity. We are excited to work with the IOP to engage young people, and to make them aware of the exciting possibilities of careers in physics.” Smoking Apples Theatre Company, grant recipient 2018.
- “In Wolverhampton, the IOP grants have been a huge success. They have enabled us to use physics learning opportunities to engage and also re-engage with marginalised men, women and young people across different ages, ethnicities and physical and mental health conditions.” BME Housing Consortium, grant recipient 2017, 2016, 2015.
Read our applicant guidelines