Our work in the King’s Cross and Islington community
We believe physics can be a passion and a pursuit for everyone. Our new home in King’s Cross has an exciting mix of free exhibitions, science experiments, and events for the whole community.
We have kept in touch with local residents, community groups and schools in Islington - during the construction of our new building - to let them know what we do and how to get involved.
As part of our public engagement in Islington we have held physics workshops and events with community groups including:
- a celebration of the International Day of Light with local schoolchildren
- a discussion in a local art gallery about how artists and scientists can work together
- physics demonstrations at the famous Caledonian Road festival for the past four years
Inspiration and education
Now we are in our new building, our engagement with students and teachers includes:
- physics resources throughout the school year, available to all schools and colleges in the London Borough of Islington
- a focus on equalities, with an emphasis on our support for improving gender balance in subject choices
- a professional network for physics teachers in Islington - meeting regularly at our new building to provide advice, support and continuing professional development
- workshops looking at specific areas to improve physics teaching
Local people, community groups and businesses have free access to:
- events accompanying our exhibitions including our show about time, opening in January 2019 in our new gallery space
- public talks and discussions by academic and business leaders from the physics community
- meeting rooms, available at discounted rates to local charities, community groups and Islington Council
- trainee employment opportunities, placements and apprenticeship enrichment schemes
Benefits for small businesses
We have dedicated space in our building for physics-based enterprises, as part of an affordable workspace scheme. We also promote an annual programme of activities and events to share skills and network with local start-ups, and small and medium-size businesses.