We are proud to support the work of university student physics and astronomy societies throughout the UK and Ireland and welcome applications from student societies that wish to become affiliated. Like us, university physics and astronomy societies can be the bridge that enables students to develop as people and make the most of opportunities at university better preparing them for their next steps, wherever that may be.
Why affiliate your society with the IOP?
We support physics university societies around the UK and Ireland by promoting and funding their events; offering advice and where possible, helping to source speakers. Affiliated societies are key to our student community and it’s our mission to cultivate a thriving community of engaged students promoting physics in society for the benefit of all.
Societies can look forward to the following benefits:
- affiliation grant: we provide £100 to contribute to your society’s activities
- additional funding: for events that promote the wonder of physics and enable participants to gain experience and knowledge related to their studies and career aspirations. Additional grant funding of between £200-£1200 can also be bid for
- support: advice, signposting and our presence at your events
- FUSE: the opportunity to attend the annual Forum of University Societies Events
- network: join a growing community of university physics societies
- trips: attend a range of networking events including trips to CERN, the Mullard Space Science Laboratory and the annual society’s forum organised by us and a host university from our network
- local community: involve your society in a broad range of outreach and engagement opportunities through the IOP’s student engagement work and local branch network
Affiliation for 2019-20
Guidance notes for society affiliation
- Society affiliation is open to student physics, astronomy, and related societies (eg SATS, SEDS, IPAQS, etc) in the UK and Ireland.
- More than one society from a single university may affiliate, provided each can demonstrate clearly that the specific aims or membership of the society are sufficiently different from any other societies at the same university. Main examples are separate physics and astronomy societies as well as undergraduate and postgraduate societies. Other cases will be decided upon by the IOP.
- In order to become affiliated, societies must complete the application form. Two named contacts must be given; please ensure contact details are correct. Both contacts must be individual student members of the IOP.
- Affiliation is valid for one academic year beginning and concluding in autumn. Societies must re-affiliate each year. You can affiliate during the second or third term, but your affiliation will conclude at the beginning of the next academic year regardless. The society must contact us if either of the named contacts change.
- Affiliation is a prerequisite to apply for additional funding.
Guidance for additional funding applications
For more information on additional funding application guidelines and requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call: +44 (0) 20 7470 4917.
Below is our current list of affiliated societies:
|University of St Andrews||Astronomy Society|
|University of St Andrews||St Andrews Physics Society (PhySoc)|
|University of Bath||Physoc|
|University of Bath||NWP|
|University of Bristol||Chaos|
|University of Bristol||Chemical Physics (Duality)|
|University of Birmingham||Poynting Physical Society|
|University of Cambridge||CUPS|
|University College London||Physics Society|
|Dublin Institute of Technology||Physics Society|
|Dundee University||Dundee University Physics Society|
|University of Durham||Astronomical Society|
|University of Edinburgh||Physoc|
|University of Glasgow||Physics Society|
|University of Glasgow||Astronomical Society|
|University of Hull||HUPS|
|Imperial College London||Imperial College AstroSoc|
|University of Central Lancashire||UCLan Physics Society|
|University of Leicester||Physics Society|
|University of Liverpool||University of Liverpool PhySoc|
|Loughborough University||Loughborough Physics|
|University of Manchester||Physoc|
|University of Manchester||MANSEDS|
|University of Manchester||Nuclear Physics|
|National University of Ireland Galway||Astro Society|
|The Open University||FUSION - Physics & Astronomy Society|
|Queen's University Belfast||PAMSOC|
|University of Sheffield||Physoc|
|University of Strathclyde||SCOPE|
|University of Sussex||Q-Soc|
|Swansea University||Swansea University PhySoc|
|Trinity College Dublin||DU Physical Society|
|UEA||Physics and Astronomy Society|
|University of York||Physoc|