Shock Waves and Extreme Conditions group
This is an IOP special interest group, which is a community of IOP members focused on a particular discipline, application or area of interest.
Special interest groups allow members to connect and share knowledge and ideas. The IOP funds groups to deliver a range of activities including events, prizes and bursaries. All of our groups are driven by members.
About the group
As a special interest, member-driven group, we are interested in both the fundamental principles underpinning, and application of science, engineering and technology, to all forms of matter.
This applies to:
- static high pressures, shock waves, blast and energetic materials
- materials characterization across a range of strain rates (static to dynamic)
- high pressure or high-rate materials synthesis
- development of equations of state and constitutive models
- effects of high energy and high-rate energy deposition
- high-speed transient phenomena
- pressure, energy, temperature and extreme rates ranging from biological, soft systems to dislocation behaviour in single crystals
We initiate and develop links between physicists and other researchers in the multi-disciplinary area of material behaviour under extreme conditions, from dynamic through to static events.
What the group does
We comprise experts from industry and academia and facilitate physics research and discussion in these fields.
This takes the form of:
- experimental developments
- numerical (modelling) developments
- theoretical developments
- Report on the Symposium on Dislocations and High Rate Properties of Metals conference, July 20 2018 (DOC, 105KB)
- Slides from the Symposium on Dislocations and High Rate Properties of Metals conference, July 20 2018 (PDF, 2,42KB)
Find group events on the IOP events site.
Committee and contacts
- Chair: Mr Glenn Whiteman email@example.com
- Secretary: Dr Gareth Appleby-Thomas firstname.lastname@example.org