Materials and Characterisation Group
This is an IOP special interest group, which is a community of IOP members focused on a particular discipline, application or area of interest.
Special interest groups allow members to connect and share knowledge and ideas. The IOP funds groups to deliver a range of activities including events, prizes and bursaries. All of our groups are driven by members.
About the group
As a special interest, member-driven group, we encourage activities focused on materials and material characterisation. Our large and multidisciplinary membership includes national and international academics, industrialists and governmental research organisations.
Broadly, our interests cover:
- properties and application of materials, old and new
- manufacture, modification and extraction of materials
- all types of material characterisation including:
- development of materials characterisation techniques and applications
What the group does
We organise and support meetings that reflect these interests in the physics community.
Early Career Prize for the Best Presentation at the Recent Appointees in Materials Science Meeting
This prize is for the best poster presented by an early career researcher and lead author at the annual Recent Appointees in Materials Science Meeting (RAMS).
Materials and Characterisation Group Poster Prize
This prize is for the best poster presented by a student and lead author at the annual Photovoltaic Science, Application and Technology Conference.
NuFor 2020: Nuclear Forensics Conference
In light of recent developments, this event has now been postponed until October 2021.
Find our other group events on the IOP events site.
Our newsletter includes:
- reports on our recent activities
- feedback from students who have had financial help to attend conferences
- news on the Materials and Characterisation Group community
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to contribute to the newsletter.