This is an IOP special interest group, which is a community of IOP members focused on a particular discipline, application or area of interest.
Special interest groups allow members to connect and share knowledge and ideas. The IOP funds groups to deliver a range of activities including events, prizes and bursaries. All of our groups are driven by members.
About the group
As a special interest, member-driven group, we promote and support physics research in:
- magnetic materials
Research in magnetism ranges from theoretical and experimental work in fundamental physics to applications of magnetic materials.
What the group does
- early career physicists
- established researchers in academia
- industrial enterprises from small start-ups to large multinationals
We represent the magnetism research physics community in the Institute and contribute to raising its profile.
We welcome suggestions for new ways to support physicists working in magnetism. Email email@example.com with your ideas.
Professor Erich Peter Wohlfarth and the Wohlfarth Lecture Series
The Wohlfarth annual lecture at the Magnetism Conference recognises the outstanding contribution made by Professor Peter Wohlfarth to the field of magnetism. It is jointly sponsored by our group and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) UK and Ireland Magnetics Chapter.
Postgraduate funding for events
We can help fund the cost of postgraduate students presenting research work at international conferences. Learn more about the Research Student Conference Fund.
Travel Bursary Reports
- 2017 William Blackmore - 12th International Symposium on Crystalline Organic Metals, Superconductors and Magnets (PDF, 72KB)
- Christopher Cox - Spintronics X, SPIE Optics + Photonics (PDF, 101KB)
- Benjamin Huddart - 14th International Conference for Muon Spin Rotation, Relaxation and Resonance (PDF, 256KB)
- Franziska Kirschner - 14th International Conference on Muon Spin Rotation, Relaxation and Resonance (PDF, 5.89KB)
- Craig Topping - International Conference in Strongly Correlated Electron Systems 2017 (PDF 726KB)
Find group events on the IOP events site.
Magnetism Group conference
Magnetism is the conference organised by the UK and Republic of Ireland magnetism community. It encourages participation from Europe and further afield, and from industry. It is a highly successful conference held annually since 2014.
Interested in hosting Magnetism 2021?
We are inviting expressions of interest to host Magnetism Group conferences.
We don’t want to restrict the organisation to committee members and welcome expressions of interest from all members of the magnetism community.
- An appropriate venue with consideration of cost.
The venue should have two lecture theatres.
The minimum capacities are 200 and 100 theatre style.
There should be an area for posters, exhibition and catering. It must comfortably accommodate 90 posters, up to 15 exhibitors (table top stands) and catering for 200 attendees.
- Travel. This includes time, cost and convenience for attendees.
- Availability of suitable accommodation at a reasonable cost.
- Local organisation on the ground.
Magnetism 2021 is organised by the IOP Magnetism Group. A committee member will be included as conference co-chair to provide support and a link to the committee.
Discuss expression of interests with the committee chair Thomas Moore T.A.Moore@leeds.ac.uk
- 2019 AGM summary (Word, 22KB)
Committee and contacts